About Mason in 10 Seconds
- Business owner/manager and investor — uniqueness, competitive advantage, and strong models interest me more than financial engineering.
- Enjoy working with business owners and unique businesses.
- Fan (and shameless copycat) of Berkshire Hathaway strategies and philosophies since my high school years in Omaha, Nebraska.
- Love to ski, bicycle,and hike.
- Rode my bicycle across the country in 1993.
- Love to travel and explore.
- Childhood near Yellowstone National Park, engaged in Teton National Park, married in Yosemite National Park. Spend nearly every weekend in Golden Gate National Recreation Area.
What Mason does
- 2010-current: General Partner of Greybull Stewardship. Remain co-owner of NHI.
- 2003-2009: President (owner-manager) of the National Holistic Institute.
- 2003: Bought NHI with partner after an independent study project at business school.
- 2002: Used MBA student loan money to invest in Zipcar. Zipcar goes public in 2011.
- 2001-2002: MBA, Harvard Business School.
- 1997-2000: Student Advantage. Venture financing from Greylock, IPO, many acquisitions, stock price from $8 to $30, managed a portfolio of acquired companies (Executive Vice President of University Services and Operations), and stock price from $30 to $0.35.
- 1995-1997: Start-up (Main Quad) and merger with Student Advantage. Mission statement: “To connect college students to each other, themselves, and the world.” Remind you of anything?
- 1994: Smart Valley Project Manager — non-profit implementing Internet projects in Silicon Valley.
- 1989-1993: Duke University.
- pre-1989: Childhood in Cody, Wyoming and high school in Omaha, Nebraska.